At Ava, we are developing a magical user experience with behind it the cutting edge speech technologies needed to empower deaf and hard of hearing people in daily conversations. Our app pairs all smartphones in a room, using different types of pairing technologies, and instantly transcribes real conversations into text, just like closed captions on your TV. By doing this, we are providing the deaf person with 24/7 accessibility in their social and professional lives.
We have just (beginning of May) launched the app as a Beta on the App and Play store, and have gotten some amazing responses: (e.g. https://jeannasoul.com/2016/05/20/holding-ava/). While we are making great strides and seeing the user base grow, we want to further accelerate our product cycles!
This is why we are looking for you! You’ll be responsible for creating great UIs, smooth device pairing, tinker with mobile audio algorithms, learn about machine learning and language processing, to push the Android ecosystem to its limits for a real time conversation experience, and much more cool tech. While doing so, you’ll be working together with our CTO, who has more than 15 years of experience in software and mobile experience, and has build the first version of Ava on Android.
What we’d like to see:
– You have at least 2 years of experience working on real-world Android apps.
– You know what it is like to ship a product: you have worked in a small team environment to push a product to the market.
– Team communication and collaboration is essential in your eyes.
– You have worked in a fast-growing environment, with short iteration cycles and ambitious deadlines. We’re changing the world, and it’s not your usual 9-5.
– You have a knack for user experience, and a passion to make Ava much more than an app: a real communication companion.
– You are energetic, driven, motivated to push the limits of what has been done before
– You have a deep knowledge of Material design and UX in general
– You have an extensive understanding of Android framework components
– You have worked in a fast-growing environment, with short iteration cycles and goals you set to leverage your full potential. We’re changing the world, and it’s not your usual 9-5.
– You have the passion to make Ava much more than an app: a real 24/7 communication companion, beyond any barrier.
– You are not afraid to try crazy & creative ideas if you think there’s a huge win behind them: this is your chance to be a maverick not a clog.
– Bonus points if you have experience with Material Design implementation, Android audio frameworks and challenging networking challenges.
If you know you have what it takes to wow our users, and really want to change peoples lives, we would love to talk to you!
We are Ava and we believe total accessibility is possible.
We're a small team from around the world
and we're breaking down communication barriers between the deaf & hearing worlds.
Group conversations are a daily struggle for 400 million people suffering from disabling hearing loss, which excludes them from many professional and social interactions.
Ava is the easiest way for them to be included in the conversation.
Like a Siri for group conversations, the mobile app empowers individuals to see who says what around them, in less than a second. Our system swiftly pairs smartphones in a room, and processes the conversation to show you a real time, color-coded transcript of the discussion. At business meetings, family dinners, social gatherings, you launch the app, and Ava does the rest.
Ava is transforming communications for the deaf/hard-of-hearing people by bridging communication gaps with a 24/7 personal, lightning fast, and affordable captioning experience.